Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Module 6: Learning in a Digital World (Toni Duke)

Technology has made a huge impact on the way that I learn. Being a 'virtual learning doctoral student' has broadened my horizons to all future learning possibilities: for both me and my children (and all students). Technology integration and the World Wide Web make learning endless that supports all theories of learning: the constructivist/connectivism approach, behaviorist, and cognitive learning ideas – all which are vitally important to review for any curricular program consideration. My growth as a professional through the courses I have taken on-line have stretched my thinking to its utmost! The communication (discussion board conversations) and collaborative activities have been much more demanding than any I recall in a regular lecture-based classroom. In a lecture atmosphere, students are often afraid to speak up and engage in meaningful conversations. In an on-line environment, we can't see or hear the immediate reactions, so we feel much freer to openly express our thoughts and feelings in writing. I can research a project and complete an assignment after I put my kids to bed in the comfort of my pajamas…I cannot imagine ever returning to the brick and mortar "lecture" learning environment. Anytime I am interested in a subject, I see if there is an on-line learning component available!

On a personal level, my children are so exposed to technology and love learning through technological gadgets (e.g. smartphones, iPad, iPod Touch, Nintendo DS, etc.) that I'm not sure how my 3-year old will handle learning in a traditional environment. I have the privilege of knowing (and hand-selecting) his pre-k teacher (for next year). Even though she is young and energetic, I'm not sure how technologically savvy she is. Being a K-12 certified teacher, Teacher coach in our district for the past 7 years, and most recently, a Technology Coach, I am planning to help her in any way that I can with her instructional strategies, student engagement, and technology - which are critical "non-negotiables" of 21st learning classrooms. I really wish all new teacher preparation programs had the same foci.

4 comments:

  1. Toni,

    You have made some valid points concerning the impact on learning in this digital era. For example, you stated, “Technology has made a huge impact on the way that I learn”. Now, depending on the reader’s perspective concerning learning theories, this idea might be seen in a whole different light. I would say that what it means to know has not changed; however, the means might have changed in this era. Result or outcome is part of Driscoll’s list of three basic components that are needed for building a learning theory: results, means and inputs (Driscoll, 2005, p. 9). How students learn best in this information age depends on the learning outcome and whether the means and input work well with that required learning outcome. Therefore, learners’ results will be affected if the means and inputs are lacking. From what I have seen, often learners who are well connected and resourceful online tend to stand a better chance of performing well in school these days. My interpretation of your statement, “Technology has made a huge impact on the way that I learn”, is of such: The way in which we learn in this technological age depend on the learning outcome and whether the means and input work well with that required learning outcome. Not to say that I am against the use of bells and whistles in the learning environment, but sometimes technology does not promote learning, but only work as a distraction to what matters most. I am not saying that is not important to be exposed to technologies, for example those that you mentioned: smartphones, iPad, iPod Touch, Nintendo DS and so on. However, what if someday we do not have access to these tools? Will we have the necessary knowledge in our minds to still function?

    Furthermore, despite the many disadvantages that are present in distance learning, I would rather be in online courses than Face-To-Face (F2F) courses. Apart from the benefit of working asynchronously, I like the idea that online courses seem to be more rigorous than F2F. The main problem that I have found with distant learning is the feeling of isolation. Then again, it seems as though the way people learn depends on the characteristics of individuals. For me, I do not need to be placed in groups to be motivated; I do not need bells and whistles in an online environment. In fact, I do not see much of a difference between my levels of knowledge gained from online learning in comparison to onsite experiences. Not everyone would agree, for instance in 2002, Qureshi, Morton, and Antosz found that distance education students were less motivated than their on-campus counterparts. Not to wallow in self praise, but lately I find myself taking “ownership in learning” which is one of the conditions in learning for learning (Driscoll, 2005, p. 399). However, according to Driscoll, taking “ownership in learning” does not always work out for the best since, when given options, learners at times would choose the quickest route through the instruction, whether or not that route best meets their learning needs ( p. 399). I do not consider myself to fall in that category of learners, since I am always pushing towards routes that best meet my learning needs. Maybe, I am becoming older and wiser.

    References

    Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

    Qureshi, E., Morton, L. L., & Antosz, E. (2002). An interesting profile: University students who take distance education courses show weaker motivation than on-campus students. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 5(4).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni,

    I have to agree that I find it hard to consider ever returned to the traditional brick and mortar learning environment. I've found my comfort zone in the e-learing platform. I found it funny you talked about learning in your pajamas, because this makes me this of my son who is attending cyber school this year for 8th grade. He jokingly told someone last week that his plaid pj pants were his school uniform. The look on the person's face was quite unusual until he explained to them that he did online school.

    I have been very impressed in observing the interaction and operations of Georgia Cyber Academy on the amount of integration in all aspects of the school that are apparently. They have interactive daily lectures, as well as, live club meetings after school allowing for a full extracurricular environment. Good luck working with your child's teacher next year.

    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer
    Your comment about your 3 year old and the traditional learning environment was great. Who would have thought that technology would have that effect on learning.
    I want to know more about how your thinking has been stretched using the on-line environment? That was an interesting statement. I know that as I progress, I also understand that I have to be more focused as an on-line student, but I like that. If I am just taking up time and space in a traditional classroom, I have not learned a thing.
    Cheers
    Linda H

    ReplyDelete